Sunday 26 March 2017

Wuthering Sunday



It's become a standing joke in the Moller family that just about all my Mothering Sundays - since becoming a mother - have been blighted in one way or another. The worst of them, of course, was when my beloved mother-in-law Mollie died before dawn broke on my second crack at the whip. 2017 was supposed to be the first perfect one - until a virus knocked out the smallest of us, so we had to cancel our plans to see my own mother. Undaunted, she's invited a bunch of folk over to hers for dinner - and we're squinting at the final episode of Gilmore Girls through the sunshine. (Coffee and doughnuts on the side, of course.)

I wrote this on Mother's Day in 2014, and took this picture of our trip to the beach. The photo paints a better picture than the film, which shows much more typical Dunbar weather. The star of March's film is my washing, appropriate for today, since motherhood means doing 50 billion loads a week.  You can see why I never have to iron my sheets. Not that I really would iron them, but I'd feel bad looking at how wrinkled they were, if their every crease weren't blasted out of them by our North Sea wind.

Most of us have mothered or been mothered in some way at some point in our lives, and so in that spirit, I wish you well today, and hope the sun is shining on you as brightly as it is on us. Even if we have had to close the curtains to see the telly better.





Wuthering Sunday
Halfway through the 40 days
This one, I'm told, is meant for me
A pause in the usual round, perhaps
A posy tied tight with his green love
Friends' pictures paint a different day
Posted quickly, flushed with pleasure
Sunlit blooms flank wine in flutes
As manly hands grip the wheel for once
Lunches out, or tea for two
Handmade cards, crepe roses drooping
They all squeeze together to say
This day is for her; just this, but hers
My day starts with the thump of a head
Regretting too-long birthday cheer
And my stomach shakes a violent no
To his offer to break my fast in bed
Emerging from our blanket, warm,
We set out with the beach in mind
But fog obscures this day of sun
And the sea says north with every roll
The sky heaves blind into the waves
Which take their hue from his father's face
Still to emerge from a softer bed
A line to say he should not yet
And here against the dragging grey
Burns a small yellow candle, straight and true
Hopping from rock to pool to sand
Then lighting our way home again
I put match to paper, then to wood
And we retreat behind the fringes
To eat and watch some hundred dogs
A first for those wide eyes, not mine
It fizzles out in bangs and shouts
This day of mine, just for me
My hands lift up the smoothing iron
As the light of my life is doused, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment